Oral Health Assessments
In order to provide you with the best care, a thorough evaluation is conducted at the initial visit. First, a complete medical and dental history is taken and reviewed. Then we discuss any problems or concerns you may have regarding your oral health. We will review and discuss your oral hygiene habits and techniques, and make any necessary adjustments or recommendations to improve your oral health. Then we’ll proceed to an intra-oral exam where the general health of your teeth and gums are assessed. This allows us to gather vital information relevant to your treatment. At each visit, we will briefly update your medical history. Together, we will create a care plan that is best for you.
Why is the medical history important?
There are several conditions and diseases that directly affect the health of your mouth. There are certain conditions that can contraindicate some dental procedures. That is why it is important to disclose all conditions and diseases on the medical history form. Also, knowing the type of medication you are on can also affect your dental treatment. We will educate you on some of the common oral side effects of certain medications such as dry mouth. By knowing the conditions you have and the medications you take, we can help you achieve the best oral and overall health.
A comprehensive medical history is a vital part of your dental history and helps us:
- Understand your wants, needs, and limitations.
- Increase our awareness of diseases, conditions, and/or medications which may impact your oral health.
- Identify any medical issues which may require us to alter how treatment is carried out,e.g. conditions which require antibiotic prophylaxis.
- Gather information about certain medical conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, or allergies, which could be vital if a medical emergency occurs in the office.
- Obtain information necessary to provide you with appropriate, individualized care.
The information collected during the assessment will be revisited at each appointment and used to track your progress!
To learn more about Oral Health Assessments, or to arrange your appointment
Please Call; 289-362-GUMS 
or send us a note below…